Apple could have made a version of iMessage that works on Android devices but chose not to in order to keep people buying iPhones. The smartphone giant had made a decision as early as 2013 to not develop its messaging platform for competing phones.
There would “have been cross-compatibility with the iOS platform so that users of both platforms would have been able to exchange messages with one another seamlessly”, said Eddy Cue, Apple’s Senior Vice President of Software and Services. However, this idea was shot down by Craig Federighi, Apple’s Senior Vice President of Software Engineering and the executive in charge of iOS, saying that “iMessage on Android would simply serve to remove [an] obstacle to iPhone families giving their kids Android phones”.
Mr Federighi also said it would be a “horrible idea” to “make it easier for someone to switch away from our platforms”. The lack of iMessage on Android is one felt strongly by consumers, especially in the United States where iPhones make up nearly 50 per cent of the market.
This is because iMessage works better than the default messaging apps on Android phones, which can lack functions such as read receipts, high-quality attachments, and typing indicators. Competing messaging services, like WhatsApp and Signal, are also used less in the United States. Only 20 per cent of US adults said they used WhatsApp in 2019, compared to the 69 per cent who used its parent company, Facebook.
- Recrutement au Poste d’Ergonome ChargÃ© de l’ExpÃ©rience Utilisateur chez Orange (France)
- URGENT : Patrick Achi Ã©vacuÃ© en France pour des soins
- SÃ©nÃ©gal : PrÃ¨s de 2 milliards FCFA pour la formation et la crÃ©ation d’entreprises
- Location de grues , camion nacelle Ã dakar , sÃ©nÃ©gal VIALOGISTICS en 2021
- Poste ProposÃ© : SecrÃ©taire / Assistant de Direction (H/F)
- France : Le Groupe Carrefour Recrute EmployÃ© de Rayon Alimentaire (H/F)
- Sidaction Recrute Ã Paris Un (01) Stagiaire en ContrÃ´le de Gestion Programme
- RDC, Ã‰tat de siÃ¨ge au Nord-Kivu et en Ituri : le FCC en phase avec FÃ©lix Tshisekedi, maisâ€¦
- Riyad Mahrez officiellement champion de la Premier League anglaise
- Fally Ipupa en concert Ã guichet fermÃ© pour faire vibrer les Warriors Ã Kinshasa
- Cristiano Ronaldo achÃ¨te une Ferrari Monza de plus dâ€™un million
- Mahamat Kaka : Â« DÃ¨s la mort de Kadhafi, le prÃ©sident Deby a sonnÃ© lâ€™alarme Â»
- Tchad : Wakit Tama met le cap sur le 19 mai
- TikTok : la jeune star sÃ©nÃ©galaise Kabhane Lame gagne plus de 55 millions de FCFA
- Avec sa photo rÃ©tro, Emmanuel Adebayor, fait la morale aux internautes
The disparity is so great that Apple’s own employees had noticed it. “In 2016, when a former Apple employee commented that ‘the #1 most difficult [reason] to leave the Apple universe app is iMessage. iMessage amounts to serious lock-in’ to the Apple ecosystem”, the court documents state, Phil Schiller, former Senior Vice President of Worldwide Product Marketing, said: “moving iMessage to Android will hurt us more than help us”.